Estates often include valuable assets which can attract negative attention. The best way to protect your interests is to hire an estate lawyer. These trained specialists handle challenging estate-related situations by helping parties receive what they are entitled to under the law. Whether estate litigation or planning, it is in your best interests to have an attorney by your side who can help avoid conflict.
What is estate litigation or estate planning lawyer?
The most common reason for hiring estate lawyers is to guide beneficiaries and trustees in making the best decisions in legal disputes. However, they are equipped to handle much more. An estate planning lawyer, also referred to as a probate attorney, deals with legal matters related to a testator’s estate. These matters include how the estate is inventoried, valued, distributed and taxed after death. You may hire an estate planning lawyer to write a will, choose your beneficiaries, create a trust and reduce or avoid estate taxes.
Meanwhile, an estate litigation lawyer handles disputes regarding an estate’s distribution after a person passes away. Although many choose to write their will directing how they want their assets shared among relatives, these documents are often contested and can lead to litigation. A litigation lawyer argues in court on behalf of a trustee, beneficiary, heir, executor or even an individual who is not mentioned in a will or trust but may have legal claims.
These disputes include will contests, misuse of power of attorney, claims that an estate was mishandled, questions surrounding a deed’s validity and other issues. If your concern falls into any of these categories, it is in your best interests to hire a competent attorney to help avoid lengthy legal conflicts.
Why hire an estate litigation or estate planning lawyer?
Here are five reasons why hiring an estate planning or litigation attorney will help you with a seamless transition.
- Your will is best written with the aid of an expert rather than left up to chance. You will be guided through creating a customized plan of action so your estate’s distribution will flow effortlessly and avoid the courts after your passing.
- An attorney at your side means all your decisions will be in accordance with the laws in your jurisdiction. That saves you from headaches concerning court actions in your area, especially in regard to estates in multiple jurisdictions.
- Many people forget there is a limited time to contest a will or trust. A lawyer ensures that your claims are brought forward before that time runs out.
- You may believe that hiring a lawyer is expensive. However, helping avoid litigation can save both you and your loved ones precious time and money in the long run.
- Dealing with estate taxes can be tedious, especially when it comes to transferring property. An experienced attorney will guide you in reducing the associated time and costs, ensuring a smooth transition.
Contact Nirwan Law Corporation
The proper planning and distribution of an estate typically means avoiding court, which often leads to family fights. Avoid the issue altogether by hiring an attorney who knows the law and is willing to fight to protect your assets or inheritance.
If you are looking for an experienced and trusted estate litigation lawyer in British Columbia, you can trust Nirwan Law Corporation to offer a tailored and practical plan to keep what is rightfully yours. Our attorneys have a high success rate and offer proven practical experience and consistent communication throughout the process. Call us at 1(604) 372-0253 to schedule a free consultation.
Stay In Touch