If you suspect that you’ve been involved in an accident with a driver that was under the influence, you should follow a few steps immediately after the collision and contact a DUI injury lawyer.

Stay safe

Do what you can to get out and away from the vehicle. This is important to do just in case the car is leaking fuel. If possible, it’s best to move the car away from traffic. If an intoxicated driver is involved in the collision, they may try to claim they weren’t driving, ask you not to call the police, or try and flee the scene. Your safety is a top priority. If you suspect that a driver is threatening or could harm you, stay inside your vehicle.

When to call the police

If you suspect that someone involved in the accident is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, call the police regardless of if the accident is minor. Do not try to physically stop an intoxicated driver from leaving the scene as it can be dangerous.

It can be difficult to keep a level head after an accident, but it’s important to write down the license plate numbers, type and colours of any vehicles involved in the collision. Provide police with your records if anyone involved leaves the scene.

Gather evidence

Try to gather as much information about the accident as possible. What occurred before, during, and after the collision? Use your phone to take photos and write down the license plates of other vehicles involved. Ask other drivers or witnesses questions. Write down all details including what occurred leading up to the accident. Obtain evidence including photos before police or emergency responders arrive at the scene, as some evidence may be accidentally destroyed.

Who is at fault?

Figuring out who is at fault isn’t necessarily obvious. It’s important to let the facts spell out who is at fault. Don’t admit fault or apologize as it may complicate matters. Don’t admit fault to police or witnesses.

Consult a personal injury lawyer

If an intoxicated driver is involved in the accident and is convicted of being under the influence, you may be contacted by their insurance company. They will want to try and settle the claim quickly and pay the least amount possible. Don’t accept the claim or speak with the other driver’s insurance company. Seek out the help of DUI lawyers in Vancouver. The lawyer can consult with you and handle the case if you wish. Drunk driving accident lawyers can often get a larger settlement than clients can receive on their own.

Visit your doctor

If you think you have been injured, even if it is a minor injury, you should make an appointment with your doctor. You may have an injury that may not be obvious. Even a minor injury can become more serious over a period of weeks or months so it is important to seek medical attention.

Find out who may be responsible

The intoxicated driver may not have insurance so it would be helpful to figure out who else may share some responsibility. For example, restaurants or bars that may have over-served the driver. Try to find the names of these restaurants or bars as it may be important if it comes to filing a lawsuit. This is also where a personal injury lawyer could help you investigate as doing your own research could be dangerous.

If you suspect you’ve been involved in an accident with an intoxicated driver, consult with a drinking and driving accident lawyer in Vancouver. Nirwan Law Corporation can handle all aspects of your claim including negotiating with ICBC, referrals to specialists, and litigation when necessary.